Sunday, September 29, 2013

Divergent

Ione Saffady                                                                                                                                       804

*Spoiler Alert*  

      In June my grandpa had brought me a book back from Barnes and Nobles called Divergent, by Roth.  He said it was "the new Hunger Games". Doubtful I let it sit on my book shelf for a couple of months. When i finally started reading it I fell in love with everything about it, the plot, description, but most of all, the characters. Tris the main character has to be placed into a category or faction, that pretty much decides her entire future.  Who she hangs out with, her job, her life style. Instead of being placed in one category her test results show that she fits into multiple categories.  This means she's divergent. I think since Tris is divergent it shows that her personality is very contrasting.
     A good example of this is when Tris has to choose which faction to join.  Her family is abnegation so she felt like that's what she had to choose. If she was an abnegation her decision would be certain, she would choose what would make her family happy. But someone in dauntless would do what they want and not even think about making other people happy. Page 73 says, " Heat swells behind my eyes as I think of home, and when I blink, a tear slips out. I cover my mouth to stifle a sob.  I can't cry, not here."This shows the different contrasting sides of Tris.  On one hand she misses her family, on the other she knows the person she is becoming can't miss them.
     Another good example is when the Dauntless have to jump onto a moving train and hang on.  On girl is about fall off and is having a really hard time.  Tris feels like she has to help her which is her abnegation side showing. At the same time she knows because she is a dauntless she can't help the girl. Page 101 says, "But when the river hits the wall, and white water sprays against Christina's back. Her face strikes the barrier, and she cries out.  Her hands slip so she's just holding on by her fingertips.  If I help her, Eric would make my fate the same as hers. Will I let her fall to her death, or will I resign myself to being factionless?"This is an example of how she's confused by what she should to and how her different personalities get in her way. She is stuck and doesn't know what to choose.
      As you can see Tris is confused by her contrasting thoughts. It's affecting her life and decisions.  I notice this is usually about if she should whats best for her or someone else.  I think a lot of people can relate to Tris, they don't know what to do because one part of them wants to do what's best for them and another part wants to do what's best for someone they care about.

1 comment:

  1. Your first sentence immediately "hooked" me into your reading response, great job !!! The only thing I would suggest is to work a little on your summary, and more thoroughly explain terms specific to the book, like "abnegation," or "Dauntless," for the reader to more easily understand it. And again, try to use your voice/thoughts/opinions more. But other than that, your response is fantastic and has an abundance of textual evidence!

    ReplyDelete