Critical
Thinking Question: How does this book help you think about social issues you
care about or causes you are committed to?
First of all I want to talk about the theme of drug
addiction in the book. Not only does the main character Kristina do drugs, her
boyfriend, her dad, and her “friends” do too. Kristina meets this new boy who she
really likes who is talking about and doing, drugs. “Been smoking pot since I
was 13 couldn’t quit if I tried. Besides
why try? It keeps me happy, mellow,”(67). Adam is a big character is Kristina’s
life. You shouldn’t need drugs in life to be “happy”. This goes for all the
people in the world who are addicted and this is what the author wants you to
know. Another part of the book is Kristina talking about Adam doing drugs worse
than just pot. “You might call him lazy, it least when the drug of the day is green
(…) the white stuff was a different story. He’d stay up all night, eating zip,
bowling, and snorting line after line. Rent money, right up the nose (…) we
used to do coke. Now it’s crank. Meth,”(68). This is a significant quote
because it shows that drugs are addicting and it keeps getting worse. This is
to show people who do drugs that a little leads to a lot and what happens when
they do drugs like meth.
Another issue in the book is problems she faces
with her father. First of all her father is an alcoholic. Secondly, he was
never there for her. He just now wanted to be part of her life and you can see
that he doesn’t have parent qualities. “Instead we returned to small talk.
Which is probably all we’ll ever manage, all we’ll ever get to, if we get to
anything at all. We couldn’t have spent more than two hours, total, within
three weeks, tied up trying to talk to each other.” (154). This shows that she
cares about her dad a lot but it seems like he doesn’t try very hard. All she
wants is for him to try. Maybe if her dad were different she would be a better
person now who didn’t go to drugs. Another quote is about how her dad isn’t the
best example. “Dad crashed. Slept twelve hours, got up for a drink and a pee,
slept six more. Good thing it was his day
off. But was it always his day off,”(70). This part shows the readers how her
dad is a really bad influence. If he drinks all of the time, doesn’t have his
priorities straight, what is he teaching his daughter? Maybe it’s better in a
way she wasn’t around for most of her life. This is an issue in many people’s
lives. People need stable parental guardians in their lives because this is
another thing that relates to her resorting to drugs.
My last example of a social issue in this book that
I am committed to is low self-esteem. As I read the story I quickly realized
Kristina had very low self-esteem. The first time I noticed this was when she
first met Adam. “Say something witty before he finds out what an incredible
geek you are. That you’re too good for me,”(49). This is a defining moment in
the book because Kristina really is a great person she just has a lot going on
with her. A lot of people have bad opinions on themselves even when they
shouldn’t. This leads to bad things such as drugs. So why does Kristina have
such low self-esteem? I think it’s because of her father and because he left
her and she never knew why. This caused her to do drugs to make herself feel
better. This relates all of the three social issues.
I’ve only read a bit of “Crank,” but I can already
tell the big issues in this book. I’ve read a lot of Ellen Hopkins and the
reason she is one of my favorite authors is because she does a great job
talking about social issues. You can tell she cares a lot about them and
getting messages out to teen so they don’t face issues like drugs. I think it’s
incredible how she relates social issues dealt by people she knows and people
in the world to the characters in her book.
Overall, this was a very well write response. I really liked your tone! Your CTQ was very straight forward and you used very good text evidence to support it. I think that this one was definitely one of the stronger pieces of writing that you posted. I also liked the way you explained your quotes. Very well done!
ReplyDeleteThis was a very well written response. Great tone, insightful Critical Thinking Question, supportive text evidence, and accurate, strong, believable claims. You definitely "unpacked" your quotations very descriptively, giving the reader something to not only understand but to think about.
ReplyDelete