Blueberries for Sal
I could never name all of the books I've read over the past 13 1/2 years of my life. But of course I remember the best ones. The ones attached to memories. I remember sitting on the beige couch in my grandparents house, staring at the millions of books on the bookshelf. But the only one I wanted to read was Blueberries for Sal. It was my favorite book for years, and I'm embarrassed to say, it still is. I can remember reading Blueberries for Sal, my own face stained purple. I could read that book over and over again. That's exactly what I did and it was my poor grandma who had to do it. Once she died the job was passed down to my mom, can't say she was happy about that. Now every time I see that books I can remember my grandma.
The first day of preschool I had to make a choice. PS 58 or PS 8. 58 was right around the corner but 8 was were my mom works. I couldn't decide so I prepared for both. On the sheet welcoming me to PS 58 it said I should bring my favorite book to share with the class. Obviously I planned on bringing Blueberries for Sal.
Although I decided to go to PS 8 this book was a symbol for a new start. I will always remember it. Every time I read this book to my kids, it will remind me of my grandma. Of PS 8. Of the family I had with my class. Of the friends I made. Of the stuff I learned. It will remind me of me. The me that will never change.

I love how this book was a symbol o your grandma! I also like how when you went to your new school it represented a new beginning. I really like how you said that you had to make the decision on what school you had to go to, and how the book helped you cope with the whole situation.I I never had a book that special, but I have had really good ones. Good job!
ReplyDeleteThis is really sweet Ione! You have really amazing connections to this book. I love how you wrote, "my own face stained purple," and all the other great connections you included. It's amazing how special certain books are to people, and I love how you stated you will remember this book and the memories it opens the gate for forever.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Ione! I love the tone of voice, and how you can turn something as simple as a book into a symbol for someone, or something, you love dearly. The connections you made of yourself to the book also made this post much stronger, in my opinion. I couldn't have written it better myself.
ReplyDelete