Ione Saffady
804
Smoke Signals
The article
“Smoke Signals,” by Alessandra Potenza in the December 9th issue of
“Upfront” discusses the pros and cons of E cigarettes. E cigarettes have been a
very debatable topic. They are
battery-powered versions of cigarettes without tobacco. However they still
include nicotine. So the big question,
Are E-cigarettes better than normal cigarettes? If so, why are people so
against them? The article discusses both sides. It taught me that
these have helped people quit smoking cigarettes because of the resemblance. However, these e-cigarettes are targeted
towards younger people. Because this article shows both sides, the reader can
come up with there own opinion on the topic.
This article
is very unbiased, it does an incredible job of defending both sides. I learned
that a lot of people, who didn’t even smoke in the first place, are becoming
addicted to E-cigarettes. “Tiffany Harvey had never smoked cigarettes. "Then
last February, the 26 year old student at the Chicago School of Professional
Psychology saw an electronic cigarette on instagram. Out of curiosity, she
bought one and tried it. Harvey’s been an E-cigarette smoker since,” (Potenza,
6). Not only are they addicting but they are also targeting them for teens.
They have celebrities like Jenny McCarthy endorse them making them want to buy
them. They are also making them flavored, who’s more likely to buy bubble-gum
flavored cigarettes? Teens! “They come in flavors like chocolate, bubblegum, or
vanilla, which are known to appeal to young people. By contrast, the FDA
prohibits all flavoring except menthol, in regular cigarettes.”(7). Teenagers are twice as likely to smoke
cigarettes if they have smoked electronic cigarettes. Maybe they aren’t better
than normal cigarettes. At the same time
the author shows why they are good. These are stopping people from smoking. “ A
growing number of doctors, however, are looking at e-cigarettes as the
deadliest-and most avoidable-public health problems: Cigarette smoking accounts
for almost half a million deaths from cancer, emphysema, and heart disease in
the U.S. The article uses the example of Brian Kano who had been smoking since
he was 17 and has quit tobacco cigarettes for e-cigarettes. As you can see the
article does a great job of proving both sides.
I have
always thought electronic cigarettes were bad, after reading this article I
have more evidence to back up my opinions and I feel even more strongly towards
my opinion. At the same time I have learned some benefits of them and I
understand the other side. People think that e- cigarettes will stop people
from smoking but really it’s making even more young people start! There are
many similarities in how e-cigarettes are being advertised now to how normal cigarettes
were before. I just hope the same thing doesn’t happen. More bad might come out
of it then good and that’s not what it’s intended to do. I wonder what exactly
is in electronic cigarettes and how harmful they can be. I hope more research is done so we can find
out what it causes before we target them at teens and have millions of people
using them. I think steps need to be taken to limit electronic cigarettes. To
limit who they are targeted at, their flavors, maybe even a ban. This article
makes me want to learn more like a good article should.
No comments:
Post a Comment